Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Golden Gate and razor wire


I'm always trying to find unique ways to take photos of things people are used to seeing. This task is especially difficult with something as famous as the Golden Gate bridge. When I went last year there was some fog rolling in so I decided to focus on the details that were closer to me (and out of the fog).
I noticed that North end of the bridge they have high fences and a good deal of razor wire to prevent people from getting on the cables and climbing up the bridge. By including them in the photo the golden gate takes on a different look, as if it's a prison or something. The fact that the main tower is shrouded by fog adds to the mystery and harshness of the image.

[click photo to enlarge]
Canon 20D, 24-85mm 3.5-4.5, AV f 8.0

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The picture is very good and interesting. The bigger question is this a microcosm of what our county had become? A prison?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Chantal said...

I like the angle!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Chroma-That's high praise coming from you, thanks.

Jill-I didn't have that in mind when taking this photo but I can see how it gave you that idea. Interesting how a photo can have so many meanings.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comment Doris,

I guess they could have made a better looking protection but I guess they chose utility over appearance.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Interesting and un-expected viewpoint of this famous bridge!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shapes are excellent here. The barbed wire is a little extreme, no?

8:20 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

The razor wire is extreme but considering how famous and accessible the bridge is, I can understand the security precautions.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've ridden over that bridge on a motorcycle several times and NEVER noticed the razor wire. Yikes!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow thats really beautiful. It touched me because living in Australia most images of razor wire come from Immigration Detention centres.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for your comments,

You don't usually find razor wire in pleasant places so it was odd to see it so visibly at the Golden Gate.

6:45 AM  
Blogger otilius said...

I never saw razor wire until I moved to NYC in 1994...and I had been to Berlin in 1985! good composition.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks Otilius,
I'm pretty used to seeing it having been in cities a lot. Here's my shot of razor wire from Philadelphia http://ahamediqbal.blogspot.com/2005/10/urban-color.html

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another very interesting photo of the bridge. I like the sharpness and detail of the razor wire.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home