Friday, November 25, 2005

Two lamposts


One area of photography i've really wanted to explore and experiment with is black and white. While I took a lot of black and white photos when I made my own prints, since i've gone to digital I haven't as much.
I took this shot on Santa Clara's campus right after sunset yesterday when the lights had just turned on. I like how the light from the lamps contrast with the different shades of gray in the sky and the dark plants without dominating the photo.
All in all the image seems like so much more than the actual lamposts which just lined a walkway to a parking lot.
[Click photo to enlarge]

Nikon Coolpix 5400, AV mode 4.0, BW setting

11 Comments:

Blogger Chantal said...

Very good photo, love the B&W

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rich tone and contrast, beautiful.

4:47 AM  
Blogger M said...

Santa Clara has very nice lamp posts. Great picture.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice!! This is just another example of how you turn an everyday object/scene into a beautiful photo. You got skillz! Its funny how you kind of forget about B&W once you start taking all digital photos. I'd like to take some more B&W too. Maybe on our CA road trip in January!

6:59 AM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

I like B&W Pictures a lot...This one is really cool...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
I have a few more nice B+W from yesterday that I'll post in the future (I don't like to post two of the same type of photo back to back).

I feel like B+W makes you focus more on the lights and shadows which eventually makes you a better photographer, hopefully i'm on my way.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i like the b&w - so you didn't use photoshop at all?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

jamieq-
Thanks for the comment
No photoshop at all, no cropping. I usually don't do either (not because i'm against them). I just like the simplicity and purity of having exactly what you shot in the first place. And with my law school schedule it makes much less time consuming.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks Anna,
Black and white really makes you think more about what you are looking at. It's like reading a book as opposed to watching a movie.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fascinating....-)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.
I guess black and white will never go out of style.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home