Thursday, December 01, 2005

Light and dark


I took this shot on campus a few weeks ago about 15 minutes before sunset. The way the buildings were set up a distinct shadow appeared on this wall covered with vines. I liked the way the linear shadow seperates the two sides while the vines randomly grow all over.
This photo is also a reminder of the importance of light in making a simple looking scene look interesting. The difference in lighting also brings out more details on the right side and makes it appear 'deeper' than the left.

[click photo to enlarge]
Nikon Coolpix 5400, AV mode, f 5.6

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoy vines a lot - they don't grow here. Nice end-of-the-season vines.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Nice work here, with the shadow and the light

3:30 AM  
Blogger broccoflower said...

wow, that's so cool!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spotting. I like it. I think it would look even better in b+w to emphasize. You have an eye for these things.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

Jamieq- I don't think the vines ever go away here in Santa Clara, it just seems too warm (it's my first year here).

Alicia- I thought about doing this in black and white but I didn't want to lose the soft color on the right side, I think it adds to the contrast.

9:30 AM  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

You really can tell a difference. You have some amazing pictures on this blog. Keep up the great work.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

I like the contrasting feel of the two sides. I dont know if i like the centered division, maybe a little more of the lighter side and crop out the heavy vines on the left. Also a more abstract closeup with details of the vines would kick some butt. I'll call you later
Peace
Ian

1:22 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Doris-It does seem like an optical illusion, especially because the lines in the wall are only on the right side.

Ian-I kind of liked the 50/50 contrast between left and right, I thought any other split would make it unbalanced. But I see your point.

3:10 PM  
Blogger M.E. said...

interesting image indeed...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home