Friday, December 02, 2005

Picking coconuts

Those of you who read my blog regularly may recognize the guy in the photo as Selvum. Here is a link that photo.
This was taken the same day at my cousin's coconut farm. Selvum basically climbed up the tree and cut off a few tender coconuts (don't worry he's only about 10 feet off the ground).
I like this shot because the bright sunlight brings out the subtle colors of the tree and coconuts and also casts some interesting shadows. It really was a perfect day as you can see by the clear blue sky.
There seems to be a sense of balance and movement within that to makes this more than a photo of a guy in a tree.

[click photo to enlarge]
Canon 20D, 50mm 1.4, AV f 4.0

11 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

We do just the same here in the Philippines. Nothing better than a glass of fresh coconut milk!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

it's a good photo. Nice composition but i cant tell, is his face a little soft and do you have any with his machete coming down or in motion. An action shot to say he's more than a guy in a tree. p.s. I'm gonna get you for the nose comment.
Ian

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does look rather high. Is this a different kind of coconut than the hairy ones or is it not ripe yet? Forgive my ignorance :)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Sidney- that's actually what he was up there for, it was nice to get the milk so fresh.

Ian- I don't have any action shots from the tree (the axe was blocked by the rest of the tree).

Alicia- I don't have a clue. I think this is a different type of tree but there were 'hairy' ones near there. I do know they can have fruit even when they aren't that tall.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Legabal said...

Great photo. I like the colour and composition.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments. The bright sun really brought the color out.

9:09 PM  
Blogger M.E. said...

i love this photo. really.
he looks so happy! (it's the 'door guy' again, right?)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Emmie,

Thanks for the comment, and yes this is 'door guy'. He is a very happy guy, always smiling and making jokes.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colour and composition. I like the positive energy your cousin brings to the photo.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Michelle,

Thanks for the compliment.
Actually it's not my cousin (the farm belongs to my cousin) Selvum is just a family friend.

12:04 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

I didn't think much of the photo until I enlarged it. Once at it's normal size it came alive. Great photo, Ahamed.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home