Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The King of Drops

This is another photo from the 'water drop' shoot when I took this other photo. Of something like 550 attempts I got about 20 quality shots.
I liked this particular one because the splash has the look of a crown. I think the crown effect happens after the column effect seen in my previous drop photo. I was happy that the drop fell right in the middle of where the light was brightest. For the lighting I used 4 lights and shot the drop in a metal mixing bowl in order to get the strange colors and reflections.

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, TV 1/6400
[click photo to enlarge]

10 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

Nice effect and a perfct crown.
A picture taken at the perfect time.
Nice.

3:43 AM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Nice work here, I still have to try this kind of photo.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, very nice effect. This excellent capture was definitely worth the effort.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the crown effect. I haven't been able to get that yet.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

heatheranne,

I would suggest a lot of light, a very high shutter speed and a lot of trial and error. Of the 550 shots only 2 were 'crowns'. Digital definetely makes this type of photography easier (and cheaper).

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the water very shallow? (Meaning an inch deep or less?)

I know what you mean about taking tons of photos. I have spent hours taking photos of water drops, then downloading them to see what I have, then back to the sink...It's worth it when you get that one perfect shot.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

The water wasn't too shallow, probably 3-4 inches of water, But I got some nice drops even with very shallow water (1/4 inch or so).

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this shot, you just captured the perfect moment of the fall of watter. Great.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very lovely photo. Waterphotos i like very much. It is very difficult to make a photo like this.
greetings, Frank

4:53 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home