Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Life and death

I'm a firm believer that in order to truly improve as a photographer you have to learn how to make the everyday and sometimes ugly look beautiful and interesting. Anyone can take a decent photo of a sunset but I think the true reward is finding the good in normally disregarded items.
And while I'm getting overly poetic, I like the contrast between the life giving sun and the dying plant in this photo.
I felt the shallow depth of field was perfect in creating a softer look and bringing attention to the details in the shriveled berries. The colors in the background are from the setting sun and a light layer of snow on the ground.

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, AV 2.8
[click photo to enlarge]

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're going to see something similar in an upcoming post i'm going to post. i find these things much more fascinating that a sunset.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Chantal said...

beautiful and peaceful photo.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

I'm always on the lookout for more interesting subjects, regardless of how 'beautiful' they are.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

I like the idea, but there is a distracting out of focus branch in the foreground. Also a tripod would give a sharper image and a little more depth of field so we can better make out the sun and snow. Try setting your camera to a higher saturataion and contrast.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Good points Ian. Though I think the depth of field works since the background really wasn't important to what I wanted to show.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Nice dof. I think it works well for what you wanted to achieve. I don't think you wanted a super sharp image.

10:31 PM  
Blogger J.R. Woodward said...

Great photo. Thanks for sharing a bit about how you took it.

JR Woodward

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home