Friday, January 13, 2006

Rusty chain in paradise

I took this photo on 17 mile drive on the Monterey Pennisula in California. It's a loop through cypress groves and along the rocky coast of the Pacific Ocean. There is a little walking trail (stop #5) where you can walk along the coast and see the huge waves crashing against the rocks and sand. As you can see from the rust deposits on the chain, the crashing of the waves creates a lot of spray which covers anything close to the shore.
I like this photo because it shows that no matter how hard we try to contain or control the earth, nature always finds a way to overcome. It's an interesting contrast between the constant and ageless ocean and the temporary and fading fence.

Canon 20D, 24-8524-85mm 3.5-4.5, AV mode f5.6
[click photo to enlarge]

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shot. Yes its true, nature is powerful, but we should be careful about her anyway.

What I like specifically in this shot is the windbitten wood and the rusty chain.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

What Ahamed did you watch a chick flick before writing that (in real life he makes fart jokes). I like the idea, maybe a little more contrast or saturation would give it more pop and depth. Also if you got up close and shot down the rusty chains you could use it to lead the eye into the background. Later Ian

2:13 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Ian- I agree with the contrast, I could bump it up but I'm too lazy to photoshop.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

This picture perfectly illustrating your story. It is simple but it TELLS A LOT. Well done.

3:14 PM  
Blogger SuzySnoo said...

I like your photos. They feel nice. Does that make any sense? I like this one especially. Keep up the good work!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember driving my motorcycle through Big Sur then wishing I could ride through 17 mile because I heard it was more beautiful than all of Big Sur. I like the shot.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Jamie- I think you would love to bike through 17 Mile. It definetely has more to see than Big Sur and the road is right next to the coast. I'm sure you'll be back sometime.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home