Sunday, February 05, 2006

Barrels of wine

This shot was taken at a winery in the Napa Valley north of San Francisco. I forget the name of the winery but it was interesting to see the size and scale of the operation. Each of these big hand-made oak barrels was made from specific types of oak from around the world so that it imparted different flavors into the wine.
This room was lined with numerous rows of wine in a climate controlled environment and I thought the way the natural sunlight lit up the edges of the barrels had a peaceful look to it. I used this angle to impart the size and repetition of the barrels without getting too much light in the photo.

Canon 20D, 24-85mm 3.5-4.5, AV f 4.5
[click photo to enlarge]

11 Comments:

Blogger Ian Frazier said...

excellent, no seriously i like it nice lighting and repetition did u use a tripod finally? I got a bunch of film developed so i'll put some up when i can scan them in. Later
Ian

12:32 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Nice composition & a lovely soft light is coming in !
Did you do some wine tasting ?

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the angle. It looks serene. I suppose the making of wine should be that way :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

Ian- You'll be surprised, no tripod. I handheld at 1/15 with 3200 ISO. Maybe now you'll realize that you don't ALWAYS need a tripod.

Sidney- I was there for the photography but there was definetely enough wine for tasting if you're into it. They say the Napa Valley is one of the best regions for wine in the world.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful image -the lighting is really nice in this photo. That was at the Sterling winery, which was my favorite that we visited. You have to take a cable car to get up to the winery and there are really beautiful views up there.

Maybe a beer or buffalo wing image would have been more appropriate for SuperBowl Sunday!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

I was pleasantly surprised with how the 20D worked in low light like this. The end result seems a lot brighter than it was.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely composition. I wouldn't mind some of that wine myself :)

11:47 AM  
Blogger broccoflower said...

Kirk and I want to go wine tasting in Napa. To warm up, he finished off a box of red wine last night.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

There were a good number of photo-ops in the Napa Valley but January is an off month for the grapes outside which would have been nice to see.
Brocco- let me know when you and the old man are coming down. I'll show you around (a.k.a. be the designated driver).

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great... I'd like a couple of those in my house.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Great shot! The lighting is just right!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home