Saturday, February 25, 2006

Canyon View

I took this photo of the Grand Canyon when my family and I took a west coast trip of the U.S. The Grand Canyon is a really amazing place but surprisingly difficult to portray in photos (here's my other attempt). It's difficult to express the size and scale in a single image.
In trying to give a idea of the size I included the woman looking off into the distance in this image.
As you can see the railings get very close to the edge and are not good for those afraid of heights. The distance to the very bottom in this area is about one mile (1600 meters) but you can only see about a third of that depth in this photo.
More than any place I've been, the Grand Canyon is something you have to see in person to truly appreciate.

Canon 20D, Canon 22-55 4.5-5.6 lens, AV f4.5
[click photo to enlarge]

11 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

This is an awesome view. Including the woman was a good idea. I wonder what she's thinking.

You're correct that it's something where you just have to be there. I can still vividly remember walking terrified down & then back up the side of the canyon on a narrow trail with no railings. I was holding a bag of trail mix.

Reminds me of the movie, Cliffhanger.

1:06 AM  
Blogger micki said...

This image clearly conveys the message you were trying to get across. Definitely one that could be used in any promotion for the Grand Canyon.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Thats one magnificent shot ahamed, one of your best ones that I have seen. The inclusion of the woman in it is so great!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Wolf said...

Great photo, nice and clear, super blue sky! It's a long way down!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

I had to post process a little to bring out the colors a because of the bright light. The sky is the same color as it was in real life though.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a view! An amazing geological formation - I would love to visit this spot one day..cheers

11:58 PM  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
I'm glad you've posted a shot of the grand canyon, some more please! I'll never get to see such a revered landmark as the grand canyon and images like this help to bridge that gap for me. Would have been cool to see a wider angle shot, but I suppose your limited with the viewing location you shot from, a fantastic image Ahamed!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

I am alrady afraid of the hight by looking at your picture! Impressive place !

8:29 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

Ndiginiz, I didn't want too wide of a shot because the details tend to get lost. Plus no matter how wide your lens is, you'll never cover enough of the Grand Canyon.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Grand Canyon. But for some reason, you can't capture the depth of the canyon - at least I can't :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Eph2810, I agree with you, the best anyone can do is try. But some places are better stored in memories and not digital memory.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home