Sunday, February 12, 2006

Chinatown Parade

I got a chance to head down to the Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco yesterday. While the actual New Year's day was last week I think they had it this weekend to avoid competing with the Superbowl.
The whole parade actually starts at night so I was lucky to walk by the pre-parade area where the floats wer lined up in advance. I took advantage of the perfect natural sunlight reflecting off the brightly painted statue and decorations to get a colorful yet peaceful shot.
I tried to make it look like the Wealth God was peeking from behind the red board. I was happy with how the buildings in the background gave the image a sense of place (rather than blank sky).

Nikon Coolpix 5400, AV f6.2
[click photo to enlarge]

7 Comments:

Blogger Ian Frazier said...

It's cool, if only for the fact that it looks like a composite photo with good mix of color and details.Very graphic.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the last day of chinese new year, and chinese celebrate this day too. That is not a buddha, it's one of the wealth gods.
Nice pic!

cbtoday,
http://todayistoday.com

1:11 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Well, that is a very wealthy God !
Great colors !

3:18 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Nice, simple and colourful composition.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.
There really is no replacement for bright natural light.
And I'll change the description to Wealth God, thanks cbtoday.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool! I like the bold, sparkly colors and the composition is neat with the statue kind of masked.

I wish I could have been in sunny, 70F California yesterday instead of getting blanketed with 12+ inches of snow in Philadelphia!!!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks huge! Chinese people love that wealth god.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home