Saturday, February 11, 2006

Full plate

Here is a much more technically sound and visually appealing photo than yesterday.
I set up this macro of a plate of sushi so that the detail of one piece was clear while the background was an endless repetition. In actuality I think there were 5-6 pieces in the shot.
It's interesting to see the detail and color of all of the elements of the sushi (the rice, the salmon, the cucumber, and the seaweed wrap).
What I thought was especially interesting was how the individual rice pieces on the edge were sliced cleanly by the Sushi maker's sharp blade.

Nikon Coolpix 5400, Macro Mode AV f2.8
[click photo to enlarge]

7 Comments:

Blogger Ian Frazier said...

Maybe I just hate sushi, but looking at it makes me want to hurl. I think the problem is the lighting is too harsh and things look oddly wet. A diffused light would make a more saturated and 3d photo.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Ian-
You've obviously got some issues with sushi, maybe you should try some vegetable rolls.
I can see what you mean about the lighting but I think the bright lighting enhances the freshness (you don't really ever see 'dry sushi').
Also if the colors were too saturated it might look too dark and old.
Thanks for the criticism though.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

Bah such a tepid reply everyone must mistakenly take you for a nice guy. You probably tell people you have a rabbit. I still think it looks like something Pete would see after a night of heavy drinking. (which is every night)

2:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can slightly see Ian's point, but I think that the photo is still cool. The color composition is neat and it kind of looks like pop art. I am still so surprised you eat sushi after getting SO SICK that one time!

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shot is very good. I understand Ian's point but I'm not agree with him. The main sushi attraction should be freshness, colorful (saturated colours) and you catch them as it is.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Food photography must be tough since people have so many different views of food. I like sushi so I only saw it with that perspective.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

I love sushi and it is healthy too !
I am just a bit surprised about the sticky rice around the sushi.
Everything looks good and I wouldn't hesitate to eat it !

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home