Sunday, February 26, 2006

Hungry Bird

I took this photo of a White Egret yesterday while biking in the Guadalupe River Park in San Jose. I noticed this bird standing in the shallow water and walking along the river bank and started taking a few shots. All of sudden it jabbed its head in the water and pulled out what looked like a crayfish or some other crustacean.
This shot is of the bird flipping a piece of the animal in it's mouth before eating it. I also have a shot of the the Egret holding the crayfish in it's mouth which I may post in the future.
I was happy to freeze a moment where the bird was in motion, as most animal shots are where they are still.

Nikon Coolpix 5400, AV f7.3
[click photo to enlarge]

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a top action shot. I love bird images and in this this one you have captured natural behaviour..nice going! cheers mate.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

I like how the sunlight is shining only on part of the bird. And the moment you captured was perfect.

I'm thinking of the scene from Finding Nemo when the bird says, "Don't make any sudden moves. Hop inside my mouth if you want to live."

http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/nemo/theater/trailer_III_480.html

5:48 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Nice shot ahamed. You got that shot just at the right moment. Were you deliberately trying to get this shot or did you get this shot by chance?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Wolf said...

I like the way the bird (subject) is positioned in the corner of the photo, nice shot!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Nice composition with a lot of negative space! You took this picture at the right moment ! Excellent !

8:27 PM  
Blogger micki said...

Love your composition, and lucky shot! Wildlife is so difficult for me, this is good work here.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

Ali- it was actually a combination of both. I tried to just get the bird against the water but then when I noticed he was feeding I watched for when he came out with something to eat.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love those egrets. You had nice timing there. You can spend ages following an egret and not get a photo with the food in the air like that.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks Alicia,

I wish I could say I stalked this bird for hours waiting for this shot but really I jumped off my bike and took 10-15 shots when he/she grabbed lunch. Luck is a big part of timing.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, this is really pretty. Great framing, too.

-Heather
eyeflashes.com

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home