Thursday, February 09, 2006

NYC Street Vendor

A shot from my trip to the Greatest City on Earth in December. I think it was 9:30 or so on a Friday and a lot of the corners were selling hot pretzels and roasted chestnuts.
What I love about New York is that you can pretty much get anything in the world you want at any time.
To me this shot conveys the vibrance and variety that makes New York what it is. I cropped out some of the darker areas so that the vendor and the food are framed well without being overwhelmed. By the way if you are looking for a free photo editor check this site out. It has most of the functions of photoshop without the pricetag.

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, AV 3.2
[click photo to enlarge]

10 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

So true. Cities like Sharjah (where I live) literally "close down" after about 10.

By the way, what is the vendor selling? Looks like hotdogs to me.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice city-life shot.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

I think he was selling hot pretzels, roasted chestnuts and knish (dough covered snack). The roaster for the chestnuts is at the bottom of the frame.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Socayo said...

You have many goods pictures.
I'll remenber to come back.
Be happy.

11:00 AM  
Blogger broccoflower said...

Oh man, I love roasted chestnuts.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

This picture has something mysterious.
Probably because of the dark & lights.
Doesn't look like NYC! :-)

4:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

Is it just the lighting or is his left hand artificial? This picture may have sharpened my resolve to go to NYC sometime soon.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for all the comments.

A- I'm glad this motivates you to get to NYC, just a hint don't spend too much time in Times Square, very touristy and not 'real'.
And the guys other hand just has a glove on it, (it was in the teens or twenties Farenheit that night).

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, you love NY that much? You've not lived there before - do plan on moving there?

GIMP - I have a website that uses all of that stuff . . . really nice photos over there too:

http://www.crushedredpepper.com/

10:36 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Jamie,

I haven't lived there but I've visited enough times to realize how amazing it is.
I have realized that it is a bit too fast paced and 'big' for my taste.
My ideal city would be a blend between the diversity and weather of San Francisco, the hometown, neighborhood feel of Philadelphia and the easy-going attitude of Miami (maybe some Montreal thrown in there too).

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home