Sunday, February 19, 2006

One Step

I took this shot in New York at the MoMA near the entrance to the museum. I wanted to shoot through the replica helicopter/art installation so I waited a few minutes as people walked through. Finally this woman walked alone and entered the frame created by the helicopter.
I was happy with the lighting as there seemed to be a spotlight on her and even lighting throughout the frame. Adding to the interest in the photo is the fact that the woman's foot is frozen in the air above its shadow before it touches the ground.
While a central composition of the subject is generally a bad idea, in this case I felt it accentuated the balance and geometry of the photo.

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, AV 3.2
[click photo to enlarge]

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that a bit immoral ahamed? I don't like the idea of someone sitting somewhere hidden waiting for someone to photograph. That is a good shot, but still I am uncomfortable with the way you got it.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comment.
Maybe I didn't describe it correctly, this was a public area (balcony overlooking the entrance) and I was in plain view. I wasn't really waiting for any specific person, just someone to put in the frame.
I also made sure that the person wasn't recognizable as well since all I wanted was the form of a person, not a face or anything.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is still a great picture. I love it when pictures tell a story on their own. :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

I totally disagree with anonymous. 99% of my pictures are street & people shots. Of this 99% half of the people don't know and will never know I took a picture of them. I took their pictures in public spaces and didn't sneak into their private homes.
What is wrong with that? I guess anonymous is not a photographer and if he is one he probably shoot exclusively rocks & still life...

Indeed, a nice shot for the reasons you mentioned yourself.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

I agree with your thoughts Sidney. Unless you take photos to exploit people or to make them look bad I don't think it's a bad thing. Especially considering most newspaper photographers don't ask permission (and I don't get paid for my photos).

11:12 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

You might be interested to read following post in photoblogs.org

http://blog.photoblogs.org/2006/02/19/selling-pictures-of-strangers/

4:27 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Interesting article Sidney, thanks.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home