Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lost Statue

I'm in a New York City /East Coast frame of mind so I thought I would post this image from Times Square.
I was drawn to this base of a statue because it seemed lost amid the overblown lights and colors of Times Square. The big neon McDonalds sign serves as a good example of this sensory overload.
It seemed interesting that a huge statue that would be a point of interest in most any other city, was barely noticeable in a city like New York. In order to emphasize the statue, I allowed it to take the majority of the frame and blurred the background since they would be noticiable anyway. By the way George M. Cohan was a playright who was known as the "man who owned Broadway".

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, AV 4.5
[click photo to enlarge]

8 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

This is a very cool point of view. I like the reflections in the statue & all the bright colors seen in the street/building area. The angles & contrast of both sides of the photo draw your eye to each.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Times Square has so many things to capture, I remember from my trip in 2002.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Really cool shot Ahamed. I love New York City and try to visit every year if possible. There are so many incredible things to photograph!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Nice composition. It is nice to hear from you the "why" and the "how" you took this picture!

6:04 AM  
Blogger micki said...

You put a lot of thought into this photo. It shows. Thanks for giving us a little look behind the lens and into the mind of the artist.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I do think a lot in advance of taking a photo. Glad other people find it interesting.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Wolf said...

I have to agree it is a very good composition. I like the big M!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

Ballerinamonkey,
Interesting reaction, I'm glad the photo took tyou to that happy place.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home