Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Nice Hand

I took this photo mainly to play with shallow depth of field. For anyone who has played Texas Hold 'Em poker, this is a very welcome sight.
I tried to simulate what a person playing poker would focus on in this situation. By using a 4.0 aperture, I was able to keep only the A of the cards sharp while blurring the rest.
I also set up the scene so that only poker chips were in the background.
Setting up still life scenes is a good way to exercise your photography habit when the weather isn't so great (I think it was raining on this day).

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75 2.8, AV 4.0
[click photo to enlarge]

8 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

Awesome shot!

My dad has a lot of fun playing poker every month with a bunch of work mates. My mom bought him a Texas Hold 'Em shirt some time ago & he taught my brother, sister & me how to play a while back. Fun!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Nice depth in the cards...

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool shot

5:30 AM  
Blogger micki said...

Excellent use of dof to convey the feeling of this shot! Nice work!

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure is a nice hand, especially with all those black chips on the table infront!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I really like this shot. I would have prefered it to be a bit brighter. Maybe you left it that way on purpose because it appealed to you. Anyways, good shot.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Ali- I probably could have made it a bit brighter but I really don't like using artificial light sources (flashes, etc.)

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I liked this one too, the wooden table was one thing that made it nice I think. About making it brighter I think it might just be about whitebalance. I noticed that you have the same kind of yellowish-white on the carsd that I often seen in indoors shots with my 20D. So one thing that can brighten up the image is to use the White point selectro in the EOS Viewer Utility and select the card.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home