Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rushing Water

This is another shot from Shenandoah National Park. I believe this is a small waterfall on the White Oak Canyon trail.
I set the camera and tripod up close to the edge of the rocks (very carefully) and used the mirror lockup and a 2 second timer to reduce vibrations and camera shake. Even with a 1/8th second shutter speed, the rush of the water over the falls creates a pleasing blur. I cropped out the trees and plants in the foreground and background in order to create a more abstract and interesting image.
I also converted to black and white after I took the shot because I liked the almost 50/50 balance between dark and light in the photo and because the lack of color emphasizes the shapes better.

Canon 5D, 24-70 f/2.8L
@51mm, f/22.0, shutter-1/8 sec, ISO-100
[click photo to enlarge]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an very interesting shot. I like it a lot.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

How come someone who barely ever bathes, takes so many water shots....hmmm.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

It appears as if the dark & light areas have collided together and are locked in a serious struggle. I think converting it to a b&w & doing some cropping worked out well. Lovely image!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.
I'm really happy with the way this turned out.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home