Thursday, February 23, 2006

Barrels of Wine 2

This another shot of wine barrels Robyn and I saw on our trip to the Napa/Sonoma valley, north of San Francisco. This was taken at Sterling Vineyard, the same winery that this photo was taken.
I like this one because the lighting is so interesting. On certain barrels there is soft natural sunlight from the windows while other barrels have the strong indoor lighting on them. I think this difference in lighting and the multiple rows of barrels stretching into the shadows creates the illusion that the barrels continue on forever.
As I've mentioned before, California wine country is a beautiful place to visit even if you aren't into wine and it's relatively close to San Francisco and the rest of the Bay area.

Canon 20D, 24-85mm 3.5-4.5, AV f 4.5
[click photo to enlarge]

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't went to a wine cellar before, but I light the lighting of the barrels. I have to agree with you though, Napa County is extremely beautiful, especially right now.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Ian Frazier said...

Nice repetition of pattern, but the color seems a little flat.

1:58 AM  
Blogger micki said...

You're right on the lighting, it is so interesting, and really makes the photo. Great picture.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Chantal said...

Great pattern and lighting.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Thats an awesome shot ahamed! You have done every thing right. The lighting is the best part of the picture and the colours are not far behind.

7:10 AM  
Blogger broccoflower said...

Lovely shot. I so want to see Wine country.

9:29 AM  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is a wonderful shot. It should be in the wine makers ads. Very nice. Also, I just want to say I'm sorry I missed your birthday earlier this month and hope that you had a great day.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments,

Ian-I did want more color out of the foreground shots but either because the actual barrels were that color or because the lighting there wasn't strong, I could draw any more color out.

I considered black and white but didn't want to lose the warm wood color in the middle of the frame.

Comp. Commenter- Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was a great day.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Bailey said...

I personally like the color and the difference between the natural and non-natural light.

This picture is going in my file of pictures I use for my desktop!

11:35 AM  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
Ahamed this is a really good image! Nice tonal qualities and the subject matter is definitely worth trying!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Ahamed Iqbal said...

Thanks for the comments.

Really odd lighting situation that ended up looking good in the photo. Funny how that works sometimes.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Nice shadows on this shot Ahamed.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home